Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Winter Snowbirds Stick to GlueArts!

Along the narrow sandy height
I watch them swiftly come and go,
Or round the leafless wood,
Like flurries of wind-driven snow,
Revolving in perpetual flight,
A changing multitude.


Nearer and nearer still they sway,
And, scattering in a circled sweep,
Rush down without a sound;
And now I see them peer and peep,
Across yon level bleak and gray,
Searching the frozen ground,-


Until a little wind upheaves,
And makes a sudden rustling there,
And then they drop their play,
Flash up into the sunless air,
And like a flight of silver leaves
Swirl round and sweep away.  "Archibald Lampman"

Archibald Lampman wrote a unique poem about the winter snowbird and its habits. Today Designer Linda Albrecht captured the snowbird we think Mr. Lampman described ever so beautifully in her GlueArts project!

We love how Linda takes items such as candlesticks and paper and turns them into truly exquisite works of art. The Little Yellow Bicycle Winter Twig collection made the perfect backdrop for her project along with GlueArts adhesives for ensuring it stays put!

"Snowbird Shadow Box"
GlueArts Designer: Linda Albrecht
Supplies:

Little Yellow Bicycle "Winter Twig" Collection papers, Clear Cuts Shapes, Paper Snowflakes kit
Melissa Frances- Resin Snowflakes
May Arts- 1.5"Green ribbon
Other: 
Clear glitter
Mica Flakes
Sno-Tex paste
pom pom trim
twigs
silver trim
styrofoam bird
Paper Mache box
old music paper
wood candlestick



Directions:
1. Cut papers to fit box (inside and outside)

2. Apply Perma Tac Adhesive flush along outside edge of box. This is where the "Push" cartridge works great because you can see exactly where your adhesive is going so that you can run it flush to the edge.

3. Adhere one edge of the white trim from the "Paper Snowflakes Kit" to the adhesive strip then fold over to the front.

4. Apply old music paper to chipboard then cut trims from die cut machine to fit box opening. Use Hot Glue to adhere them to the inside opening of the box (this will help to firm up the white paper trim.)


5. Apply silver trim to box with Hot Glue.

6. Adhere a Clear Glitter shape to the lower right front corner of the box with an Extreme Adhesive square then add a resin snowflake to the corner.
7. Add a white brad to the center of a Clear Glitter Shape then apply to the resin snowflake with an Adhesive Square.

8. Add Sno-Tex paste, glitter and Mica Flakes to twig branches then adhere to inside of the box with Hot Glue.
The styrofoam bird was painted white. I also painted on some rosey cheeks then added glitter and Mica Flakes.


9. To apply the foam star to inside of box, Use U-Cut-Cut-It Foam.

10. Wrap ribbon around the outside of the box then tie with a bow.


11. Adhere candlestick to the bottom of the box with Hot Glue.



Fun tip for today...consider making this beauty for more then just winter...how about an Easter themed shadowbox with a bunny or chick inside!!


Little Yellow Bicycle has a Brand New Release called Saturdays! Blues, browns, deniums and soft, coral reds fill this collection. Post a comment today about your favorite winter treat and for posting a comment we'll enter you to win Little Yellow Bicycle's Brand New Saturdays collection!!
Along with our Glue Glider PRO handle and your choice of our new PRO+ Cartridges! High Tac, Perma Tac, Repositionable or yes..Extreme Tac! 

Just post a comment and we'll select one random winner next Monday! Also don't forget to stop by the Little Yellow Bicycle blog for more ideas and inspiration! 

56 comments:

  1. Wonderful box- thanks for posting such clear instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is just way cool...totally love it..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very gorgeous project. I love it. A winter treat that I like when it's very cold is a big cup of hot chocolate with marshmallow. Thanks for the chance, Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ADORABLE! I would love to make that--I'm really into birds.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful box and I love how wintery it looks with the glitter and tinsel. Winter treats... hm.. you know those molten chocolate cakes that are cold on the outside but the center is hot and melted? Love those!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what an amazing little home decor project. I love the step by step pictures. I love that you can see just how it was made. Great idea to old over the decorative trim. Thanks for a super idea and a chance at an awesome prize!!
    xoxo, Christine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous project! My fav winter treat would be hot cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pom poms add whimsy. SO pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bird box would look perfect on my new desk in my new "office". I have bird prints, bronze bird book ends, bird magnet board, bird sculptures, bird vase. I need this bird box. And the colors are perfect. I'd like to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your adhesives must be REALLY strong---not all adhesives could hold this box and all of its parts together. It is SO cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute, love all the details on this shadowbox!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your snowbirds shadow box project is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This box is so sweet, when I was a little girl, I use to be so intrigued by boxes like this. I love the little scenes inside that people would make inside.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love it, can't wait to make one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So pretty! Sometimes I get stuck making cards and layouts, I forget that I can do other things with paper, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda is so talented. Would you believe she MADE that bird herself?! Shaking my head in awe. What a beautiful piece of art!
    As for my favorite winter treat, apple & butternut squash soup. So yummy!

    Elaine Allen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great shadow box!! Love the adhesive tips. My fave winter treat: hot cocoa with marshmallows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is soo cool, I really love this box and will definitely have to try it. Thanks sooo much for the great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely little shadow box!

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is so pretty! thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful altered box! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great project ! I love birds and birdhouses. I think I will give this one a try. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My favorite winter treat is lots and lots of chia cinnamon tea with cream........yummmmm
    ava

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how you did the lace edging in the front! the collection is sweet, great for the men in our lives. TY for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Incredible project! It feels gentle and elegant. My favorite winter treat is New York style chocolate cheese cake. Thanks for the opportunity to win!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooo Ilikey! So cute! Fav winter treat hot cinnamon rolls! Tfs Callyann

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a cute bird box! Winter treat is not edible for me - I love laying on the couch wrapped up in an afgan :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Linda definitely captured the essence of the poem. :) Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What great products. I like the ideas toput the into use.

    marg0006@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  30. To beautiful for words!
    I love the splash of yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This project is completely scrumptious! Love all the details and textures. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Im loving this. very beautiful...I love the idea for a shadow box for Easter. I might have to try this. I grew up with shadow box's hanging on the wall and I always loved them so much. Thanks for the inspiration and the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Cute project! Love the border punched strips framing the box. My fave winter treat is homemade chicken soup!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great box! Love the 3Dness! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What fun to have a new idea for using cardmaking and scrapbooking supplies. Such a lovely idea.

    ReplyDelete
  36. looking at this snowbird makes looking outside at real snow that much easier to take - can't wait for Spring, and getting LYB paper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG! I cannot believe how talented this DT is. I am just loving this shadow box. What a gorgeous project. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Beautiful shadow box. I like your suggestions for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The shadow box looks so complicated, but when the steps are explained like you did, it seems do-able!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my goodness, this little framed project is gorgeous! I'm always kind of intimidated by home decor projects but your instructions were so great that I might even attempt this! Love the scalloped trim!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for the beautiful inspiration today.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Great project thanks for the chance to win.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete