Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

October Afternoon is Captivating...

........don't you agree?!!

October Afternoon's Modern Homemaker collection is bright, fun, cheerful and easy to see why it's a favorite!

All this week we've been discussing homemaking, tips and tricks and more!

Our Glue Girl Grace Tolman said... "October Afternoon's retro/vintage designs on the papers are fun. And I love the tiny word stickers. There's so much you can do with them."  {we think so too!}

Designer Kristen Swain created a super sweet recipe album...and Designer Audrey Pettit shares a "Captivating" layout that we just loved!






Invitation and Recipe Album

Designed by: Kristen Swain

Designer Comment: How about inviting a friend to dinner? Then you can be a wonderful hostess and give them this pretty recipe binder with recipes from your meal. The binder is large enough for them to include some of their own recipes to create a treasured recipe album.



Supplies:
Papers/stickers/buttons/flair/letters- October Afternoon
Adhesives- Glue Arts Pema Tac, Glue Arts Adhesive Squares, Glue Arts UCutIt foam.
Twine
Diecut machine- Cricut Expresson, Elegant Edges and Storybook Cartridges
ribbon-Anna Griffin
Album- Pink Paislee
punch- Eksuccess



Card Instructions:

1. Fold card blank to 5x5 inches. Adhere block of paper to card, then add punched strip towards bottom of card and another to top of card.

2. Cut block of UCutIt foam to fit bracket shape, then adhere to card.

3. After cutting two butterflies using diecut machine, layer them together using Adhesive Squares. Adhere to card using Adhesive Squares then adhere flair button with twine bow to center of butterfly.
4. Tie bow, adhere button to center of bow with Adhesive Squares. Finish card by using sticker letters for greeting. 


Album Instructions:

1. Cut strip of pink paper and wrap around front cover of album, cutting second strip and adding enough to complete the wrap, adhering together with Perma Tac.

2. Adhere scalloped square with Perma tac to front cover, then adhere stickers down one side of square. Adhere button with adhesive squares.

3. Cut out and use adhesive squares to add butterfly to cover, adding button flair and twine bow to butterfly center.

Inside pages:



For appetizer page, adhere block of paper to chipboard divider, then add punched strip, oval piece and butterfly. Add button and twine to center of butterfly, then add label and stickers letters with Appetizer! across label.
For Meals page, adhere paper with Perma tac and trim excess from chipboard. Punch scalloped border then adhere across bottom of paper block. Add scalloped oval, with two buttons and butterfly in center of oval. Then use foam tape under sticekr and adhere in center of butterfly. Add label and letter stickers for Meals using Foam tape under sticker letters. 
For Desserts page, adhere part of scalloped circle across chipboard page, then trim off excess, adding strip of pink paper top to bottom of page. Use foam tape block on back of bracket shape and adhere to page. Adhere sticker label, trim off excess and adhere sticker letters for Desserts. Use Adhesive Squares to adhere butterfly, button and twine to page.





Captivating Layout
Designed by: Audrey Pettit

Glue Arts Supplies:
Glue Glider Pro with Perma Squares adhesive
Micro Extreme Adhesive Squares
Ribbon Adhesive

October Afternoon Supplies:
Modern Homemaker Collection
Patterned Paper
Word Stickers
Label Stickers
Mini Market Alpha Stickers
Buttons
Tin Pins

Other Supplies:
Buff Ivory Cardstock
Basic Grey Alpha Stickers
May Arts Ribbon
American Crafts Pen

Working with patterned papers is one of my favorite parts of scrapbooking. I see pretty papers, and I want to pile them on, but add too many patterns, and you can end up with a busy, chaotic design. Striking the right balance is the key to a successful design versus one that might make you just a little bit dizzy. Here's a few tips I try to keep in mind when working with patterned paper.

1. Choose papers that are different in scale when mixing patterns. If you select a large floral pattern, for example, try blending it with a medium-sized print and a small print. On my layout here, I chose the green flower paper as my large scale bold paper and added to that a medium scale plaid and a small scale polka dot.

Another trick I use when working with lots of papers is to keep the color palette simple. I find that using three colors often works best and will keep your project from looking too busy. Remember, you can add in neutrals, too. Here I chose to work with red and green, two colors pulled from the focal point of my photo, the fun hat my daughter made from duct tape. For my third color, I chose pink, for an unexpected touch of whimsy. If I can look at a project and think to myself, hmmm.I wouldn't have thought to add that, but it works, then I'm happy.

2. Now that you've chosen your papers, it's time to put them all together in a cohesive way. Start with your background and several layers of paper. Then work on balance in the design. I added strips of patterned papers on both the left and right side to create balance. The left side, which contains my photo, is visually heavier than the right, so I used thinner strips of paper here. I also used a border punched detailing which helps draw the eye toward the photo.
3. To keep the layout from looking lopsided, I added more strips of the same papers on the right side. Using wider strips in this empty space counter-balances the weight of the left side.
4. For the center of my page, I used buttons and stickers to balance the single photo design. The labels make a great spot to hold my title and date, and how fun is that random grid of colors and shapes?
5. Since I placed journaling strips on the top of the page, I added a border of ruffled trim to the bottom to once again add balance. Glue Arts Ribbon Adhesive makes it a snap to pinch and pleat your ribbon as you go. I just love this stuff!

6. One last balancing trick I used here is to place a sticker and button on the top left corner and the bottom right corner. Diagonal embellishments will lead your eye right across the layout, taking in all the key elements along the way.

Hope these tips help you strike a balance on your next project.





All week long we're sharing ideas using October Afternoon's Modern Homemaker line paired up with our outstanding lineup of GlueArts Adhesives. 


Modern Homemaker brings to mind homemaking, cleaning, care and keeping of your home, cooking and baking and a renewed interest in taking pride in caring for your home.


Thanks to bloggers, celebrities, tv shows, magazines and more there's nothing wrong with proclaiming you love to cook ...in fact I'm envious of all of you...who create in the kitchen! {I can cook but only with a recipe to follow.}


How many of you enjoy cooking and baking? What are some of your favorite recipes? Sites for inspiration and cooking tips?? Cooks? TV shows? Subscribe to any special magazines?? We'd love to hear!


And for sharing...well we've got this for you... the October Afternoon Modern Homemaker 8 by 8 paper pad, the coordinating Acrylic Stamps and.............


 ...........we're going to include a Glue Glider Pro and our must have 3D Combo Pac! We'll pick a random winner next Monday!

Be sure today to visit the October Afternoon blog...they're offering another way for you to win!

See you back here tomorrow with more Modern Homemaker and GlueArts of course! 

73 comments:

  1. Now those are amazing projects. I love them all, such get technique. Thanks for sharing...Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great projects today! I'm always looking for new meals to try out. I like to watch Paula Dean and Rachel Ray on the Food Network. I also check out the Eating Well website for recipes! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore the colors of that line. So much fun! I bake. That's about it. :) Mostly cookies now, tho I did go thru a bread phase...

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving these projects! I especially love the ones with the butterflies! I love cooking and baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite baking recipes are from the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook. The book was originally printed in the early 70's...it was then out of print...but THANKFULLY they have brought it back. Although I have my grandmother's copy...which to me is priceless (it ever includes her notes!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things I love more than anything (in the creative world)... My Glue Glider Pro mini ATG & October Afternoon EVERYTHING!!! My LSS turned me on to the glue glider & I havent been able to turn back!! I'm so glad to see this match made in creative heaven!!

    I make a mean cheesecake, love to cook & bake. I subscrive to "Simple & Delicious" and LOVE the Food Network mag!! It's a great way to get a variety of recipes in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great projects today! The Glue Arts products make them seem so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous recipe holder, Kris! And fabulous Modern Homemaker collection. I just LOVED working with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice giveaway!

    I subscribe to Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and get lots of yummy recipes from there. It's also fun to see the beautiful homes and rooms that I wish I could have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't cook much, but I do like to make fruit salad, potato salad, and green salads from my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great projects today. Love those butterflies! I get Rachael Ray's magazine. She has easy quick meals that we love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely projects! I really want to make a recipe album now! Okay, a favorite (and easy) recipe that is always a hit at our family gatherings... my mom's version of waldorf salad. Grapes, apple pieces, walnuts, celery, and REAL whipping cream! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love recipes and I love this line to make the perfect recipe book Glue arts rocks with their adhesives I love my Pink gun and squares.
    Who can't use these wonderful products and just
    Cutalicious on the Modern Homemake OA rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome projects!!! I LOVE everything October Afternoon, but this is one of my fave collections. Well done, ladies!!!

    Shar

    ReplyDelete
  16. what fabulous projects.. You gals rock.. thanks for all the inspiration!
    Huggles,
    Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  17. very clever and amazing projects!!!! I love to cook and bake!!!!! Sometimes with a recipe sometimes without.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love to bake. And especially using my grandmother's recipes. I think this would be the perfect start to preserving some of these onto my kids. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  19. great project. Thanks for the great giveaway. Daynene@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do like to cook. There are times I like to create and times I like a good meal that is quick and uses regular easy to find food. I like to watch the Food Network. I find fun things to try on there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love to eat, but I'm not really a great cook or baker! hehee. I love to go to Pioneer Women for delicious recpies and sometimes I even actually try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. How fun!!! Although I don't know many recipes, I still love to get cooking! ;)
    - April W

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love cooking and usually start with recipes from Gooseberry Patch cookbooks - of course I usually play with the recipe after the first time I make it to make it my own!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I only have a few favorite recepies, but my favorite is twice baked potato casserole. It is fantastic.

    michellebrooks2001 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great stuff, super creative projects! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the projects today! Especially that recipe album!! I just discovered a new magazine called Fine Cooking -- bought my first issue at the grocery store, and after trying 4 recipes out of it, had to get a subscription! Yummy stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love a Taste Of Home magazine. I get so many great recipes from there!
    I love all the projects!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great projects! I don't really like to cook but in the Fall I do enjoy baking.

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(At)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOOPIE PIES! They are my absolute favorite thing to make. I love trying new recipes for them... But always go back to my classic version from Epicurious.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, man! There's so much to enjoy in this post. I really love Bakerella, and my trust ol' Betty Crocker cook book. It tells me EVERYTHING I need to know about ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved all of todays projects!! This has ti be my favorite line, so nostalgic!!
    Thanks for the chance to win!!
    debpaint16@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing more great projects! Love Audreys pink and red layout, like the button/sticker tip.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sweet projects with lovely papers and embellishments. These would be nice for moms, grandmoms, aunts (even dads and uncles, etc) to give to their children as keepsakes. Even mothers-in-law for daughters-in-law. I love baking myself. Have spent the last year or so reading books by and about Julia Child, whom I admire greatly. She was such a neat person.

    ReplyDelete
  34. More great projects!
    I cook because I have to but I bake because I enjoy it. I own a lot of cook books & have found lots of good recipes on blogs. Taste of Home is a magazine that I enjoy too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute! Reminds me of my mom's cookbooks when I was a little one! That's been a few years! lol Just love the butterflies and the colors that are used.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I have a cookbook that my mom put together for me and my siblings of all of our favorite recipes that she made when we were growing up. Another time, I was craving her clam chowder and she came over and gave me a one on one, step by step walk through of her recipe and all of the different things you could do with her recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Once again...GREAT projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Allrecipes.com
    this is a great site for helpful info. I learnt how to cut and eat a mango beautifully. check it out. Nice projects today.
    ava

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great projects and tips for using patterned papers. I like to cook and use Taste of Home recipes a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This has been an awesome week...loving ALL the creativity! Cute LO and LOVE the recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Just love October Afternoons collections...terrific projects all wk! Thanks for the chance to win Glue Arts!

    ReplyDelete
  42. People tell me I am a great cook and baker, but I have a secret. It is not me-it is the recipes I have. My go to web site is Allrecipes.com. When looking for a recipe on their site, look for the ratings. The higher the # of people who have tried the recipe the better. You then can look at all the comments and see if there is a way to make the recipe better. Pralines, Coffee and Cream Cake is one recipe I always get asked for the recipe. Here is the link http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pralines-Coffee-and-Cream-Cake/Detail.aspx
    I make it as a 13x9 and instead of coffee liqueur I use pralines coffee (you could also use a cup of coffee and LoAnn's praline flavoring). It really is all about the recipe.
    I recently went to a Taste of Home Cooking School-they had very simple recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love these projects! I always have the Food Network on television while I scrapbook and I get many recipes from Allrecipes.com and Cooking Light magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like to cook, but with little kids /picky eaters I actually enjoy baking more. I follow lots of baking and cookie decorating web sites even though I usually settle for baking the standard chocolate chip cookies or cupcakes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. i'm not that great of a cook, but i do enjoy the process. i end up making an enormous mess, much like when i'm working on an art project! but i usually like the end result! :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I love cooking and in New Zealand we have a show called Masterchef which is full of inspiring recipes and ideas that I love to have a go at maiking. Thanks for the chance to win one of the amazing Glue Arts adhesives. We don't have anythinfg like that here in NZ

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, lovely projects! I love to cook, but baking is even more fun!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I like baking, especially those recipies that has been in my family for a long time =) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I just love this paper line and used some of it, and Glue Arts glider is on my desk all the time.. So this one is a win- win combo!

    ReplyDelete
  50. wonderful projects. I'm not a what you would call a good cook but I get by. I like to make spaghetti sauce, stew and pea soup.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  51. Great looks Audrey and you make it all look easy - that's a talent!
    xo Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  52. I love being a homemaker. To me that is the most important thing about making a home happy for your husband and children. It is a very fulfilling job! I also love a little crafting each day! All in all it is a very gooood life!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. I LOVE cooking, baking and canning!
    Food Network is my favorite tv channel---Rachael Ray is my FAVE!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I like cooking, but I can't say I love it. I do like making something for the first time and have it turn out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Wow! It doesn't get much more retro than that invite and recipe keeper! Love the layout too- so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  56. My hubby does most the cooking in the summer (and he is good, but I do enjoy cooking in the winter. It seems so cozy. And I def enhoy "OCTOBER AFTERNOON" in the winter, spring, summer and fall.

    ReplyDelete
  57. love this collection, delicious colors & patterns!

    I do enjoy cooking & baking...mostly baking & eating! Hubby is a wonderful cook so I let his 'gift' shine through as much as possible! ;) We did subscribe to Taste of Home for years...now we're just trying to catch up with all our unused recipes, it's fun to try new things!

    ReplyDelete
  58. Love the recipe book!

    I get Jamie Oliver's magazine, they're always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  59. WOW! These LOs are super cute! LOVE the layered butterfly! I love the new app I just downloaded on my iPhone called "All Recipes" for cooking! You can type in any ingredients and it comes up with a recipe!! LOVE IT:)

    ReplyDelete
  60. I love to cook and am trying to get my little boy interested too. But mostly he likes cookie making! The projects are super cute. Love OA and Glue Arts.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Just loving these projects, way to cool. Thanks for sharing and the chance to win.

    Later Tater,
    Laney

    ReplyDelete
  62. I'm loving all the Homemaker projects. This paper is completely my style. Thanks for sharing! I collect recipes from everywhere and in our house, I cook and my daughter bakes. We are the perfect twosome!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Great projects again, the DT have really pulled out all the stops with this paper line.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  64. Such fun!!! I absolutely LOVE to bake - I don't find a lot of time to do it lately, but yep, baking (and then eating...)

    Absolutely fabulous projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  65. This is SUPER cute!! I would love to have a recipe book like this to keep all my miscellaneous papers (with recipes on them) in! They could be organized, and it makes it SO easy to find what you need when you need it!! AWESOME projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  66. What a great recipe binder idea! I love to cook and my recipes are always scattered everywhere in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  67. I love that recipe album! That would be a great shower gift for a new bride! As for cooking, I am always on the lookout for good chicken dishes. I use Cooks.Com all the time for recipes, and I love my Food Network shows!

    ReplyDelete
  68. I'm really more of a baker than a cook...at least, I love to eat baked goods more than anything! My favorite recipes include chocolate banana bread and pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (yes, chocolate is key! ;) ).
    Wonderful recipe book idea! Is it bad that the section for desserts and cookies would be the thickest set of recipes?- lol!
    Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  69. Beautiful projects. I love this paper line!

    ReplyDelete
  70. Another great week full of cute projects here!

    ReplyDelete
  71. Wow - love this collection and these projects are fab! I love recipes, but don't like to cook - go figure! Love my panini maker - yum!

    ReplyDelete