Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Homemaking with GlueArts & October Afternoon!

So do you consider yourself a Modern Homemaker?

Here's the definition of homemaking: Homemaking is a mainly American term for the management of a home, otherwise known as housework, housekeeping or household management (the act of overseeing the organizational, financial, day-to-day operations of a house or estate, and the managing of other domestic concerns).

I think almost all of us fall into being a modern homemaker. Most of us do some sort of homemaking. {even if you don't like it!lol}

October Afternoon created a unique line filled with a bit of whimsy and retro style. I asked the Glue Girls what they liked about October Afternoon...here's what Audrey Pettit had to say...

"I think their papers are really playful and fun. Love that they have a slight retro vintage feel and offer themed lines without being too cutesy. I love to scrap shabby chic, with a modern twist, and think that October Afternoon offers exactly that look."


We couldn't agree more! Today Designer Ania Lexander made a special layout showing her sweet little helper {and future homemaker!} and Designer Lesley Langdon has a recipe card set so cute you'll have to make them!! 


My Little Helper Layout
Designed by: Ania Lexander 


Glue Arts materials:
Glue Glider Pro w/PermaTac
U-Cut-It 3d foam adhesive
Extreme Adhesive Mounting Squares
Micro Extreme Adhesive Mounting Squares
Mini Adhesive Squares

Other materials: October Afternoon Modern Homemaker kit, Maya Road trinkets, KaiserCraft bling/gems

My daughter loves her little cousin, and helps out whenever she can.

For adhering the paper and photos, I used my Glue Glider Pro. For the smaller pieces of paper however, I just used the mini adhesive squares.


For dimension - I used the U-Cut-It 3d foam. I love that you get a sheet and can cut it into as large or small pieces as you need. I discovered afterwards that for the square letters I might as well just have cut out a strip and placed all the letters on it instead of cutting smaller pieces for one and one letter....ah well..lesson learned for next time!



And for the smaller pieces - extreme adhesive squares in whatever size required! smile.gif



Old School Recipe Cards
Designed by: Lesley Langdon

These papers are very retro and I wanted to use them for some of my favorite recips and my Mother's recipes as well. In particular, my Mom used to make great cabbage rolls, pecan sandies (shortbread), lasagne, and cookies. You can use regular index cards to make these recipe cards, and they come in 6x4. That means that you can get 6 cards out of each piece of October Afternoon patterned paper! To make my tabs, I used some dies and only used the top part for its decorative edge. I also found that Glue Arts Accent It All vinyl can be cut easily with metal die templates and can be used to dress up the cards. The red and yellow colors are a perfect match for these papers. I thought it would be a cute idea to let the kids pick from the recipe tree once in a while!

Supplies:

Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro (Perma Tac Adhesive)
Glue Arts Extreme Adhesive Squares
Glue Arts Accent It All Vinyl (Red and Yellow)
October Afternoon Modern Homemaker (Patterned Paper, Label Stickers, Word Stickers, Buttons, Tin Pins)
Clearsnap Color Queue Ink 
Spellbinders Dies (Lacey Circles, Eyelet Circles, Creative Pages)
Grand Calibur Die Cut Machine by Spellbinders
The Twinery Twine
Fotofalls Photo Holder from Umbra



Instructions:
1. Cut October Afternoon patterned papers into 6x4 rectangles, adhere to index cards with Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro (Perma Tac Adhesive). Ink edges.


2. Die cut decorative edges to make tabs and adhere to recipe cards.


3. Die cut Glue Arts Accent It All vinyl in lacey circles and eyelet circles, adhere to cards.
4. Adhere buttons and twine using Glue Arts Extreme Adhesive Squares. 


5. Adhere October Afternoon decorative stickers and Tin Pins.
6. Start writing out your recipes! Store using a clip hanging system (like fotofalls) or in a box, folder, or other.






So being we are all truly Modern Homemaker's....care to share any tips or tricks for things you've learned? A special way to do something, secret trick to getting a stain out, tried and true recipe, time-saver, online site you love for coupons and deals...you name it. We're listening!

And for sharing or just leaving us a comment today...we'll enter you to win a October Afternoon Modern Homemaker 8 by 8 paper pad, the coordinating Acrylic Stamps and.............

 ...........we're going to include a Glue Glider Pro and our must have 3D Combo Pac! We'll pick a random winner next Monday!

Now for another chance to win....we'd like to ask you to go show October Afternoon what amazing fans we truly do have here at GlueArts. Simply visit the October Afternoon Facebook wall,like them and post a comment  there that GlueArts sent you over. Then.....go to the GlueArts Facebook wall and let us know you went over and said hello!

We're giving away an October Afternoon Modern Homemaker Mini Album Kit along with our Extreme Adhesive Squares to one fan who completes the task! We'll give you through Thursday, May 19th to go say hi and post on our wall! 

Be sure today to visit the October Afternoon blog...they're offering another way for you to win!

See you back here tomorrow with more Modern Homemaker and GlueArts of course! 

62 comments:

  1. Love the old fashion recipe cards, they are so cute!!
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have sent the love on fb...love the vintage project.. This would be fun to make and give as a gift...thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...if only I fit the definintion...lol. Oh well...at least my family is fed, kids are happy, and so is hubby. I guess that is my tip...it is about the family being happy, not the clean house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects! I really love the recipe card, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these papers. Yes, I am a homemaker and a mother. One thing my mom taught me was that sometimes it's more important to give snuggles and attention, especially when they are smaller, than it is to have a perfect home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ♥♥♥ OA and GA!!! The LOs and recipe cards are sweet.... Lesley Langdon ROCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that collection! My tip is that i bought a special cleaning rod for my ceiling fan for only four dollars- the blade goes between two fuzzy rollers, and you don't get dust all over the room cleaning the fan!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those recipe cards are awesome! I may have to borrow that idea for some recipes I was thinking of putting together for my sister. Yeah! Wish I had great tips for everyone, but I find that the best thing I can do to keep up with everything is staying organized, having a system. Of course I'm type A personality so.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ania and Lesley, you guys are Uh-Mazing!
    Totally love your projects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really love this line! The recipe cards are just wonderful, I'll need to "lift" this idea to make new cards for my cousin of all of my aunt's recipes. Thanks for the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Glue Girls always amaze me. My tip is to have a 'tidy' house and happy hubby and kids. Don't know if it's a good one but it seems to work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knew your DT was fabulous, but they are also great Modern Homemakers too! Love the projects today.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fabulous ideas!! Thanks for sharing. :)
    - April W

    ReplyDelete
  14. A time saving tip is to clean up as you go. I like to make a big pot of sauce then freeze the left over for a quick dinner for another night.
    stamping sue
    http://stampingsueinconnecticut.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love love love this idea! I am trying to find a cute way to do recipe cards, and you might have led me to the right spot! I love the look of this collection! I am a new "Modern Homemaker" but hate tending to the "cleaning" jobs. I am trying though!

    cherie.goyer at gmail.com
    http://oneheartscrapper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. these are great - I would love to make them would the modern homemaker also be the working mom, cause I'm both - as a single mom, I have to tend to my family at home and go out and make the $ to provide for them - how much modern can you get!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this paper. I <3 October Afternoon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The projects are so cute today!

    The only "homemaker" tip I know is that you can use hair spray or rubbing alcohol to blot out ink stains on clothing.

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely projects. My tip is to pretreat fabric with Pine Sol to remove grease stains. Margaret K.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love OA's Homemaker line!! I want to make a recipe book out of it to store my family's most favorite recipes! Loving all the projects so far!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful projects!!! Thks for sharing, love this paper!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been a homemaker (housewife/stay at home mom) for 21 years. My best hint is to use an enzyme cleaner for stains on fabric. It works 95% of the time (I'm estimating here, not being totally accurate).

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the retro feel to this line! GA and OA is a great pairing!! In these tight budgeted times, my tip would be to get coupons online. All you need to do is google it! Thanks for the chance to win some goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great project! Love that paper. And YES I am a homemaker :) Got to go cook now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have better luck getting gooey things off of metal objects with WD40 than Goo-B-Gone or any other adhesive remover ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great work! I am a Modern Homemaker! :-) and an old-fashioned one, too! :-) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love today's projects!
    My tip is to train your husband early on in your marriage to help out with the chores ;)

    ReplyDelete
  28. More Amazing Projects!! You guys ROCK!!! Thanks for the chance to win!!
    debpaint16@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cute collection!

    ReplyDelete
  30. More cute ideas. I like the suggestion to let the kids choose a receipe from the umbrella tree.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i so love that line :) really cute inspiration thanks for sharing them.

    lets see, umm i heard that if you get burned with the glue of a glue gun and you submerge the area in vinegar that it will stop the sting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great projects! i love those recipe cards - they would be perfect for family favorites from my hubby's 101 year old grandmother :) Hints... hmm, i can't think of anything new bt i can use all the tips i can get!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love those projects - Modern Homemaker is super cute! I can't think of a tip for homemakers off the top of my mind... honestly, I'm not great at cooking or cleaning or any of that!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really like this paper and your projects. Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  35. love the old fashion recipe cards! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  36. SUPER adorable recipe cards! I love love love it!

    I am not a homemaker--I don't like to clean/etc. But I can tell you that I learned from a friend that vinegar is a great substitute for floor soap/cleaner. Water and vinegar! It smells funny--but it cleans up well!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am the worst homemaker... but I pretend to be good sometimes! Especially when I am baking!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Great stuff, love these projects! Love OA!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great projects! OA is one of my favorite paper manufacturers! It is definitely my largest stack of hoarded goodies!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really cute ideas. Warm and cozy feel.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love those projects! My best homemaker tip is to remove blueberry stains with plain yougurt. Just put yougurt on the stain and leave it for a couple of hours, then wash as usual. Voila´! =)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Love, love, love October Afternoon! The vintage prints and cheerful colors just make me smile! My homemaker tip has to do with hand sewing. I always keep a plain white candle in my sewing box so I can run my thread over it. That keeps the thread from tangling when I sew on buttons etc.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh! I NEED those stamps and October Afternoon paper! The old fashioned cat clock is so cute and I actually had one when I was a kid. Love the projects you've been showing this week and the combo of OA and Glue Arts is awesome.
    SO my tip is to run vinegar through your coffee maker to remove stains. Rinse it well and run several potfuls of clear water through to make sure all the vinegar is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Great ideas with these papers.
    my tip is after cleaning your windows, rub a newspaper on it and you will not have any stripes on your window.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love anything vintage and this is no exception. My daughter is making a recipe box, I think I have found just the right paper collection to help her out!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Goodness but this is such an inspirational and beautiful piece. And a great giveaway. Thanks much!
    SuZeQ ~ kosec@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  47. Audrey Pettit said it so well about OA - I shared some love yesterday - I'll go back today

    ReplyDelete
  48. My best time saver is ....
    whenever I cook ground beef---I cook enough for several meals---use what I need for the recipe that I'm cooking that day then Freeze the rest in portion sizes --that way It's ready for the next time I need it for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Great projects and love this paper. My tip is to keep a set cleaning supplies in the rooms you use them in.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great layout and I love the old fashioned recipe cards and holder. Brilliant projects.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  51. What cute ideas! My tip is a website for coupons, Savingstar.com!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love, love, love these projects!!

    I definitely consider myself a modern homemaker. My favorite tip is when you are making a white cake, use WHOLE eggs - not just the whites. Your cake won't be QUITE as pure white, but it will be so much more moist!!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. These are great projects! My best cleaning tip - try Mr Clean erasers before anything else. Those things are magic!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Wonderful projects! Thank you so much for the instructions and the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  55. oh my goodness! I wish I'd had a little helper like Ania's when my babies were little. :)
    Adorable page!
    And the recipe cards are adorable too. TFS, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love the recipe tree. I've been meaning to put some of my recipes on nice cards. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete