Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

GlueArts Crafts for Kids Week

For many of you...school is ending and that means summer.

Time for trips to the pool, stops for ice cream, catching up on reading...and yes..

the dreaded, "I'm bored Mom".

So rather then see your kids spend enless time in front on the TV or playing video games...why not suggest a craft!

All week long we have kids craft ideas using our GlueArts adhesives and our Designers creative ideas!


Accent It All Flowers
Designed by: Audrey Pettit


Supplies:

Glue Arts Accent It All Vinyl
Glue Arts Glue Gun and Glue Gun Sticks (optional)

My daughter loves making flowers to decorate her room with. These fun Accent It All flowers may look a bit complicated, but really are quite simple to make. The best part is, with all the fun colors the Accent It All vinyl comes in, you can make a whole rainbow of flowers, in different sizes. Once you learn the easy folding technique, the sky is the limit.
 

1. Start by cutting the Accent It All vinyl into strips. You can use whatever size strip you would like, with larger pieces being easier for younger children to manage. For our flowers, we cut the strips into 2" widths. We used a guillotine paper cutter for this, although you can cut it by hand as well. Don't worry if your lines aren't perfectly straight. That won't affect the outcome of the flowers in the least.

2. Cut a thin strip of vinyl for the flower center. Our piece was about 3/4" thick, but again, it could be any size. Roll the strip into a tube, leaving just about a 1/4" tail at the bottom. Fold the tail back onto the tube and smooth flat. It won't look like much yet, but not to worry.

3. Cut a larger square or rectangular piece for the flower petals. Any size will work, and straight lines are not necessary, so let the kiddos go to town.
4. Fold down one corner of the rectangle, leaving about an 1/8" edge of sticky vinyl exposed. Press flat.
5. Take that exposed edge, and fold it over to the opposite side. My daughter calls this the "house" fold, because your piece ends up looking like a house with a pointed roof. Press flat. You will end up with a pointed triangle with sticky vinyl at the bottom.
6. Wrap this first petal around the flower center we created in step 2. The vinyl clings to itself, so there is no need for any further adhesive.

7. Now simply repeat the process, folding and wrapping as many petals around the center as you wish. Less petals will create a flower bud appearance, more petals make a full flower.
8. Last step is to cut a rectangular piece of green Accent It All for the flower stem. This can be any size. Ours was approximately 2" x 4". Roll into a tube, and attach it to the flower base using another thin strip of green vinyl.



9. If need be, use the Glue Arts Glue Gun to apply a small drop of glue to the flower center to keep it in place.

10. Cut leaves from green vinyl and wrap around base.



Thanks to everyone who joined in last week and said a BIG GlueArts hello to our friends over at Unibind! You always do an outstanding job so for that we thank you! And we'd like to give one of you your own Unibind Photobook Creator!

The winner is:

st_mccall said...



OH MY GOSH!!!!! What a giveaway! I so need this, both my son and my daughter got engaged within the past couple months! Ohhh, please let me be the lucky GLUE ARTS winner!! Thanks for the chances.

May 28, 2011 2:34 AM 
 
And it's a new week so let's have a little giveaway to celebrate crafting with kids. Our Glue Arts Adhesive Squares are the perfect adhesive for kids to use.

Easy, clean, no mess and well...they stick! Post a comment today for a chance to win a roll of our Adhesive Squares, Mini Adhesive Squares and our 3D Combo Pac that has our U Cut It foam and our Raisen's!
 
We'll pick a brand new winner next Monday to enjoy these goodies!!
 
 


39 comments:

  1. What a great idea- summer crafts for kids. Thanks for sharing the cute flowers!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea! Thank you for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh I'd love to win! I love the flowers, and the focus on kids. I teach crafts to kids at Pottery Barn Kids, and I am always looking for new craft ideas. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the idea of summer crafts for kids. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! The flowers are pretty! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look pretty fun, I have 4 kids home for summer soon! Yikes!
    kacee
    mcvicwif@Yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute flowers!!! Thanks for the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have 3 kids and my mom here all summer long!! And my husband works from home, so we will have a FULL HOUSE! I will need to retreat to the craft cave a lot I feel ;-) Thanks for the chance to win AND an idea to share with my girls when they are "bored" Ü

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such cute flowers!! And even though I don't have girls, my 2 boys LOOOVE to make Mommy flowers! These would be so easy for them to make, and so cute for me to display!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea. Will definitely try this out with the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE these ideas for summer crafts. My kids and I are going to have so much fun making these. Also might be a great idea for a 4H workshop??? Thanks for all the great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute flowers, going to show my daughter-great project to pull out when they r bored!


    Lynda P

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! Will have to try this out with my daughter!

    amandawoodau at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. My daughters are going to love making those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter will have a great time making those flowers! She loves to make things while I am working at my craft desk!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea! Thanks for the chance to win Glue Arts adhesives. I can never have too much of Glue Arts :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great idea for a summer craft project.

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the paper flowers, thanks for the tutorial. lflinesatcomcastdotnet

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love crafting with kids--looking forward to this week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great Idea.thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I want to spend the summer doing fun crafts like this! What a cute flower.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those flowers are beautiful!
    In case you're still hearing from people that can't leave comments, I switched to google chrome & it seems to be working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just saw that I won the Unibind system and some Glue Arts products!!!! Thank you so very much, I am so excited.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great idea for my little ones, they just love craft projects and flowers! Thanks for the generous giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, these flowers looks great! Thanks for sharing the tutorial =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. These flowers are good for a real summer party!

    ReplyDelete
  27. scrappin with kids is a fabulous idea

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW, beautiful flowers!! Looks like I need to get myself some Glue Arts Accent It All Vinyl :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love doing crafts with my kids. This prize would get me started this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Cute flowers, will need to add this to the list of summer things to do.
    Thanks!
    LizW

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea for a fun summer craft project:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Please, please, please pick ME!!! I have a very busy daughter with lots of friends who love to come to my house to raid all my craft supplies, lol. This would really help me out and the girls would LOVE IT. I'm feeling lucky today and keeping my fingers crossed, PLEASE PICK ME! Have a Beautiful Day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a great idea! I plan to run kids classes too - so urgently collect any useful ideas Yours is fab! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such beautiful, easy to make flowers!! Thanks so much for the chance to win your Fantastic Adhesives!!
    debpaint16@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. love the flower! Im going to try to make one thanks for the idea
    kelcee
    kelceeriann@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. very pretty and it looks so easy, thanks for sharing.

    later tater,
    laney

    ReplyDelete