Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

She Discovered She Could Fly.........

.....and Fly She Did!!!

Designer Leslie Ashe created this beautiful project that she has displayed now in her home! It's not only inspiring but beautiful! A perfect combination! And Cheri Wenger..well she was seeking a new way for her family to finally know that clean or dirty dishes can be found in the dishwasher!lol This is such a neat idea!!!


She Discovered She Could Fly
Designer: Leslie Ashe


Supplies:
Glue Arts:
Glue Glider Pro with Permatac cartridge
UCut It 3D Foam
My Little Shoebox Home Tweet Home (paper, letter stickers, stickers)

other supplies:
chipboard album page - Teresa Collins
letters - Thickers : American Crafts
buttons: October Afternoon, Jenni Bowlin, Maya Road
border punch: EK Success

Instructions:

-trace butterfly shapes from chipboard onto patterned paper then adhere together:



-using 3D foam, adhere butterflies to right side of chipboard album page:
-using different letter stickers, spell out: "she discovered she could fly" to lower left side of chipboard
-add bird to left side, near letters:

-and to butterfly on right side:
-put on easel & display!

here's a close up:




Design Note: You know the ol’ story about the shoemaker’s children? Well, sometimes work dictates what projects come first. For a while I have been wanting to create a dishwasher magnet to let everyone in the house know if the dishes are dirty or clean so there are no more excuses for people leaving their dishes in the sink for mom to take care of…can you relate? Often my DH will run the dishwasher at night and then the rest of the family (not knowing about him doing this) loads dirty dishes in with the freshly cleaned batch. Yuck! So he made a sign to let us know. This was no great creative effort, but a quickly made note. (See below). Now you know why I was inspired by this great collection to make a solution that not only matches our kitchen d├ęcor perfectly, but is completely functional.

The Before sign…




The new flippable sign…
 

Supply List:
Adhesive: Glue Arts’ Glue Glider™ Pro with High Tac Adhesive, U-Cut-It adhesive foam and Micro Adhesive Squares
Cardstock: (My Little Shoebox) Home Tweet Home Collection: Punch outs and asstd. CS
Stickers: (My Little Shoebox) White and Apples Alphabet Stickers
Cutters & Punches: (We R Memory Keepers) Crop-A-Dile; (Xacto) Cutting Knife and scissors
Ribbon: (May Arts) Lemondrop Twine
Flowers: (Prima) Very Orange “Iced Got Flowers?”
Other Supplies: (Stampin’ Up!®) Pearl, small olive button, sanding block or sand paper, magnets and pieces of cardboard*
*Note: I used cardboard inserts saved from 4 x 6 package of photo paper which was the perfect size.
Cereal boxes, old packaging and used up note pads are great sources for this.

Step-by-Step Instructions:
1. Punch out assorted CS elements.  Use mini alphabet stickers to add “Clean Empty Me” and “Dirty Dishes” to designs.

2. Mount tree rectangle to 4-5/8” x 2-1/2” brown polka dot side of Birds of A Feather CS. Using Pro with high tac adhesive (as shown above). Mount onto cardboard for more support. Flip over and attach second rectangle of brown polka dot CS to cardboard. Layer oval element on top. Check that both sides are facing the correct direction so they will read properly when the sign is flipped.

3. Cut bird and flowers from A Place to Nest CS and add to both sides of sign. Make sure to add flower to top center of oval since you will punch hole in the center of it. Use liquid adhesive or you can use scrap paper and run high tack adhesive carefully over the back of handcut designs.

4. Cut out pink strip with loopy design and place on top of flower element with bird nest. Mark in pencil inner circle contour onto the pink strip. Use scissors to cut out. Set aside.
  
5.  Attach elements to cardboard with high tac adhesive and Glue Glider™ Pro.
   
6.  Use Xacto knife and cutting mat to cut out flower shapes. Sand nubs off edges of punched out elements with a sanding block or piece of fine sand paper.
      
7.  Cut and apply 4 small pieces of U-Cut-It adhesive foam to back side of circle element. Add on top of green flower. Layer small orange flower and olive button on top using extreme mini adhesive squares. Attach pink border to yellow flower with Pro and layer flowers and pearl on top with extreme mini adhesive squares.

   

8.  Punch a hole in the center of the flower on the dirty dishes sign. Punch hole in the bottom center of yellow flower and thread long piece of yellow twine through hole. Make a noose knot as shown.

  

9.  Thread both loops through hole of dirty dishes sign and knot above top edge of sign. Cut ends and loosen fibers. Punch a hole in the top of green flower. Thread twine through the hole in top of green flower with one strand looped on each side of hole. Make one knot above flower, thread through hole punched in bottom of dirty dishes sign. Knot twice, cut and fray ends.
     
10.Attach magnets to back of two flower elements. This will hold the sign in place. Lifting the bottom magnetic flower will enable the sign to be flipped. Reattaching the magnet to the dishwasher will hold it in place.

       
   

Please join us for our final day in welcoming Guest Designer Amy Sotolongo.  Amy's projects caught our eye during our Glue Girl Design Team Auditions! Her attention to detail and unique embellishments all combine to make her a standout! And today's layout is no exception and fit perfectly with the start of baseball season! 


Spring Training Layout
Guest Designer: Amy Sotolongo

Supplies:

Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro Perma Tac
My Little Shoebox Home Tweet Home Collection 


It's been a true pleasure to work with Amy! We hope you take a moment to visit Amy's blog and share some GlueArts love with her!

Don't forget...leave us a comment today and we'll enter you to win the beautiful My Little Shoebox Garden Party collection along with a Glue Glider Pro, a refill of your choice and our 3D Combo Pac of adhesives!
We'll select one random winner on Monday!

  

           



81 comments:

  1. Love the projects! I need one of those dishwasher signs! But my DW is plastic so I'd have to figure something else out, magnets won't work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love those butterflies...Just stunning! Beautiful! I will have to try and make some of those....thanks so much for sharing and thanks for the chance to win. Have a great weekeend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butterflies, and the dirty dishes, I have got to try that one, would love to see my kids reaction to a sign like this. thanks so much for sharing, your projects make me want to go buy this materials, but short on $$$ but for sure will have to get some as soon as I can. thanks again for sharing such beautiful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The butterflies are so cute. I love this! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. love these fun projects- thanks for sharing as well as for the chance to win some great prizes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the dishwasher flippable sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That dishwasher magnet is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anything butterflies I just adore! Cute ideas to end a wonderful wk of MLS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those butterflies. And I really need to make one of those dishwasher things too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful projects! I LOVE the sentiment on the card!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been wanting to make a diswasher sign. I think I will scraplift yours! TFS

    pennyspad at sbcglobal dot net

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute and love the little bird on the butterfly wing :)
    Magnets are a GREAT idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea. I must say, after reading this I need to count my blessings that I do not have this problem. You see, I don't - absolutely not a fan of the dishwasher and I do not use it at all. Nor do I load it, I prefer to hand wash everything! The dishwasher is my husbands "toy" in the kitchen and it is he who uses it. The only rule we have is the dishwasher gets unloaded before anyone goes to bed...usually my husband does this as well. I am blessed to have such a wonderful partner and family!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just adore the projects!!!! Those Butterflies are Fabulous!

    I so need to make one of these for my dishwasher!!!! TOOOOO CUTE!!!! Although, I am the only one who ever loads it or empties it, this would make it a much happier chore to do!!!

    Thanks for sharing with us!!! LOVE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great projects....Love this blog. Butterflies are something that are used a lot in my scrap room. My granddaughter loves to make them. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dirty dishes magnet is so cute! Great inspiration and the butterflies are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great projects. I love butterflies. The dishwasher sign is the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the dishwasher magnet! I do the unloading and sometimes it is dang hard to tell if it is clean or dirty... lol.

    anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Dishwasher sign, that is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the butterflies and the sentiment. Great idea for the dishwasher even though I don't have one. Welcome to Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love it!! I am partial to the butterflies! because they are my fav!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the dishwasher sign. I totally need to make one for our house!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the spring training layout. Would you believe I don't have an automatic dishwasher? Just my hands!! LC

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the projects! What a great dishwasher sign.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the projects today, so fun!

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely projects! I really love those butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Dishwasher sign is a BIG WIN for glue arts. great project. Many of us will be making this one. Good call DT.
    ava

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG! Such a clever idea to make that dishwasher sign!! And oh so true about the shoemakers children being the ones with the worst shoes...oand the crafter having the saddest home decor!! Going to make one of those signs for myself right away!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great projects! Love those butterflies! Very nice, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Butterflies are always so beautiful, and these are lovely variations. How many of us have these dull but useful signs all over the place? This dw sign adds a bit of cheer to a dreary chore. Good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have to say, and not to keep repeating myself, I love everything you all do! This is the first blog I've ever actually done the projects daily and I've never had to add to anything as they are perfect the way you do them! Usually, I seem to find things that need to be taken away or added with the exception the projects I find here!
    Having said that, the following suggestion is not an addition, but it is what I did when producing this myself today. I laminated every piece seperately unless it was a flat srface of several elements. And, today I didn't have the same papers so I just used Cricut diecuts to match what you did. LOVE the projects!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great projects, love that card, sign and layout! Great work ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very cute way to know if dishes are clean or dirty. We often have this problem at our house too.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really love the dishwasher magnet. I have wanted to make a similar one for my house. Now I can scraplift this idea. Thanks so much! It's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the dishwasher sign. And how clever to use white letters for clean and black for dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely Project!! I just love butterflies!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the dishwasher sign...especially the additional instruction to the kids about what to do with those clean dishes!! They can't seem to figure it out on their own, can they? Thanks for the chance to win some great prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  38. the butterflies are all so lovely, so cute to have the little birdie perching on the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great projects! I love the butterflies. They are my favorite. Thanks for the chance to win :) Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the dishwasher sign. If I thought the boyfriend would use it, I would make him one.Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love the butterflies! The projects are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love the dishwasher sign. That really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am going to make one of those dishwasher signs for my house--great idea !

    ReplyDelete
  44. Such neat ideas!! love the dishwasher sign..so unique!!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those layered butterflies are sooooooo cute! I also love the dirty dishes sign:) I have been meaning to make something for that--so this was perfect:) THANKS! sbmmhoover at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  46. Wonderful projects! Thanks for sharing!

    rpcrafter at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  47. love the projects! TFS :)

    Phenis2031 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love your dishwasher sign. What a great idea.
    cstephenson at q dot com

    ReplyDelete
  49. love the detail on the butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Definitely need to make a dishwasher sign like that! We're rocking the "clean" post-it as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. LOVE those BUTTERFLIES! The dirty dishes sign is a must have also. I had made one awhile ago for my dishwasher but it wasn't as cute or clever as this one. Maybe I'll make a couple to tuck into little house warming gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Adorable sign for the dishwasher!

    ReplyDelete
  53. All the projects are great! LOVE that butterfly card though.. think I am gonna scraplift that into a layout!

    ReplyDelete
  54. adorable projects! I get so many cool ideas from your website, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Great ideas and I really love the use of butterflies. You can never have enough butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love all the ideas especially the sign for the dishwasher! The butterflies are beautiful!

    hollyhobbie at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  57. Love the butterflies! Haven't seen many around this year, craft-wise or in real-life.

    Atoxim at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  58. The butterflies are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Years ago I laminated a "Dishes Are Clean" sign for my dishwasher. I love the butterflies and can't wait to make a few. Thanks for this super giveaway, good luck to all!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Clever clever clever, TFS. SOme gorgeous ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  61. Oh my gosh Awesome ideas I cant believe i just found this blog

    ReplyDelete
  62. Very cute ideas!! I am loving the butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  63. These are beautiful projects. I love looking at all the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  64. cute idea I love butterflies

    ReplyDelete
  65. I love the Butterflies.I love the colors.Thanks for the idea's.

    ReplyDelete
  66. This is GREAT! I'm always seeing the magnetic signs like this - unfortunately my dishwasher is not metal. I'm going to go make one!

    Michelle M.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Great projects! LOVE those butterflies! TFS :)

    ReplyDelete
  68. These projects are beautiful.. I love the spring time butterflys! Been busy moving all weekend and all I wanna do if create! Would love this collection. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  69. Beautiful,gives me hope to see Butterflies soon.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Such adorable projects! I love the dishwasher magnet.

    ReplyDelete
  71. Fabulous projects...I wish I had a dishwasher so I could make that cute clean dishes/dirty dishes sign! lol

    ReplyDelete
  72. Love the Daisy's Super cute project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  73. I once ran an experiment with my 4 boys.When the dishwasher got full-they started stacking them in the sink.Ah boys.Love all the creations today-full of happy spring cheer.

    ReplyDelete
  74. What a great idea. MUCH better than my sticky notes that I leave for my family (above the dishwasher)!

    ReplyDelete
  75. I had 2 boys and a spouse who didn't even know what a dishwasher was !! Love the clean and dirty project, and all the detailed directions ! Thank you for sharing .

    ReplyDelete
  76. Beautiful work, ladies! Thanks so much for sharing! Oh, the tutorials are great, too! Thanks for the chance to win!

    ReplyDelete
  77. What a great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete