Designer Leslie Ashe created this beautiful project that she has displayed now in her home! It's not only inspiring but beautiful! A perfect combination! And Cheri Wenger..well she was seeking a new way for her family to finally know that clean or dirty dishes can be found in the dishwasher!lol This is such a neat idea!!!
Design Note: You know the ol’ story about the shoemaker’s children? Well, sometimes work dictates what projects come first. For a while I have been wanting to create a dishwasher magnet to let everyone in the house know if the dishes are dirty or clean so there are no more excuses for people leaving their dishes in the sink for mom to take care of…can you relate? Often my DH will run the dishwasher at night and then the rest of the family (not knowing about him doing this) loads dirty dishes in with the freshly cleaned batch. Yuck! So he made a sign to let us know. This was no great creative effort, but a quickly made note. (See below). Now you know why I was inspired by this great collection to make a solution that not only matches our kitchen décor perfectly, but is completely functional.
The Before sign…
The new flippable sign…
Adhesive: Glue Arts’ Glue Glider™ Pro with High Tac Adhesive, U-Cut-It adhesive foam and Micro Adhesive Squares
Cardstock: (My Little Shoebox) Home Tweet Home Collection: Punch outs and asstd. CS
Stickers: (My Little Shoebox) White and Apples Alphabet Stickers
Cutters & Punches: (We R Memory Keepers) Crop-A-Dile; (Xacto) Cutting Knife and scissors
Ribbon: (May Arts) Lemondrop Twine
Flowers: (Prima) Very Orange “Iced Got Flowers?”
Other Supplies: (Stampin’ Up!®) Pearl, small olive button, sanding block or sand paper, magnets and pieces of cardboard*
*Note: I used cardboard inserts saved from 4 x 6 package of photo paper which was the perfect size.
Cereal boxes, old packaging and used up note pads are great sources for this.
1. Punch out assorted CS elements. Use mini alphabet stickers to add “Clean Empty Me” and “Dirty Dishes” to designs.
2. Mount tree rectangle to 4-5/8” x 2-1/2” brown polka dot side of Birds of A Feather CS. Using Pro with high tac adhesive (as shown above). Mount onto cardboard for more support. Flip over and attach second rectangle of brown polka dot CS to cardboard. Layer oval element on top. Check that both sides are facing the correct direction so they will read properly when the sign is flipped.
3. Cut bird and flowers from A Place to Nest CS and add to both sides of sign. Make sure to add flower to top center of oval since you will punch hole in the center of it. Use liquid adhesive or you can use scrap paper and run high tack adhesive carefully over the back of handcut designs.
4. Cut out pink strip with loopy design and place on top of flower element with bird nest. Mark in pencil inner circle contour onto the pink strip. Use scissors to cut out. Set aside.
5. Attach elements to cardboard with high tac adhesive and Glue Glider™ Pro.
6. Use Xacto knife and cutting mat to cut out flower shapes. Sand nubs off edges of punched out elements with a sanding block or piece of fine sand paper.
7. Cut and apply 4 small pieces of U-Cut-It adhesive foam to back side of circle element. Add on top of green flower. Layer small orange flower and olive button on top using extreme mini adhesive squares. Attach pink border to yellow flower with Pro and layer flowers and pearl on top with extreme mini adhesive squares.
8. Punch a hole in the center of the flower on the dirty dishes sign. Punch hole in the bottom center of yellow flower and thread long piece of yellow twine through hole. Make a noose knot as shown.
9. Thread both loops through hole of dirty dishes sign and knot above top edge of sign. Cut ends and loosen fibers. Punch a hole in the top of green flower. Thread twine through the hole in top of green flower with one strand looped on each side of hole. Make one knot above flower, thread through hole punched in bottom of dirty dishes sign. Knot twice, cut and fray ends.
10.Attach magnets to back of two flower elements. This will hold the sign in place. Lifting the bottom magnetic flower will enable the sign to be flipped. Reattaching the magnet to the dishwasher will hold it in place.
Please join us for our final day in welcoming Guest Designer Amy Sotolongo. Amy's projects caught our eye during our Glue Girl Design Team Auditions! Her attention to detail and unique embellishments all combine to make her a standout! And today's layout is no exception and fit perfectly with the start of baseball season!
Guest Designer: Amy Sotolongo
Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro Perma Tac
My Little Shoebox Home Tweet Home Collection
It's been a true pleasure to work with Amy! We hope you take a moment to visit Amy's blog and share some GlueArts love with her!
Don't forget...leave us a comment today and we'll enter you to win the beautiful My Little Shoebox Garden Party collection along with a Glue Glider Pro, a refill of your choice and our 3D Combo Pac of adhesives!
We'll select one random winner on Monday!