Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Holiday Printer's Tray Gift Idea

Candies, candles, perfumes and such are all wonderful gifts; however, they don't last.

Why not give a gift that will endure and also put you at the top of the gift-giving list?

This printer's tray keepsake can be made with holiday papers and embellishments to serve as a special reminder of this time of the year.

Another option is to select products to match the receiver's home d├ęcor, making it perfect for year round. This printer's tray uses our U Cut It Foam which we have been highlighting this week. The foam can be handcut or diecut to fit any shape! Here's how to make a great gift that will certainly not be returned.


Holiday Printer's Tray
Designer: Julia Sandvoss

Supplies:
• K & Co. Yuletide holiday papers, adhesive paper borders, rub-ons and embellishment collection
• Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro Perma Tac, 3D combo pac and Extreme Adhesive Squares
• 7Gypsies printer's tray
• Plaid white paint
• May Arts ribbons
• Colorbox chalk inks: warm red, creamy brown, moss green
• Making Memories key
• Vintage thread spool
• EK Success/Martha Stewart icicle punch, glittering glue and snow glitter
• Aleene's liquid paper glaze
• White felt
• Stickles glitter: Christmas red, lime green, silver and yellow
• Making Memories flower poinsettia, buttons and "Blessed" diecut
• Making Memories Slice Design Cordless Cutter Machine and Mistletoe design card
Instructions:
Step 1 • Brush a bit of white paint onto the sides of the printer's tray. Use a paper towel and wipe off any excess paint to leave a light coating. This will give the tray just a bit of a distressed look. Allow time to dry.

Step 2 • To make the top left portion, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Lightly ink the edges. Next punch a strip of paper using the icicle punch. Coat with glittering glue adhesive and apply a liberal coating of snow glitter. Shake excess glitter off onto tray or paper. Cut a piece of felt measuring 3 by 4 inches. Apply a coating of glitter adhesive and again add a liberal coating of glitter and shake off any excess. Adhere felt to paper using Glue Glider Pro with Perma Tac for good adhesion. Next select two of the same Santa diecuts. Add 3D Combo Pac foam adhesive to the top of one and adhere the second. This creates a dimensional diecut. Adhere diecut to paper. Adhere punch strip to paper and adhere to printer tray.


Step 3 • To make lower left, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Ink the edges. Cut a piece of paper measuring 3 by 5 inches. Adhere your photo to paper with a slight tilt to show a bit of the background paper. Adhere to larger paper. Tie ribbon around paper, secure with adhesive squares and finally adhere to printer tray.

Step 4 • For the top center, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Ink the paper edges. Add the diecut to the left side. Attach the key with Extreme Adhesive. Add the Yuletide Adhesive Paper Border sticker. Diecut or handcut the word "Joy." Use the 3D Combo Pac foam to give the word "Joy" a bit of height. Adhere to paper. Embellish the border sticker and Joy diecut with Stickles Glitter.


Step 5 • To make the lower center portion, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Ink the paper edges. Use two of the Yuletide Tree diecuts. Add 3D Combo Pac foam adhesive to the top of one of the tree and adhere the second over this. This creates a dimensional diecut. Adhere diecut to paper. Embellish tree with Stickles Glitter and add touches of liquid glue, which will dry to a glossy finish. Add Yuletide Rub On and gems. Finish with buttons and adhere with Micro Adhesive Squares.


Step 6 • For the top right, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Ink the edges. Next cut a piece of paper measuring 3 by 5 inches. Ink the edges. Adhere your photo to paper with a slight tilt to show a bit of the paper. Adhere to background paper. Add Yuletide adhesive paper border sticker, "Blessed" diecut and poinsettia. Finish off with Stickles glitter accents added to border sticker. Adhere to tray.


Step 7 • For the lower right, cut a piece of paper measuring 4 by 6 inches. Ink the paper edges. Cut another piece of paper 3 by 4 inches. Ink the edges. Adhere the ribbon onto the bottom paper. Use two of the Yuletide Santa diecuts. Add 3D Combo Pac foam adhesive to the top of one of the Santas and adhere the second over this. Adhere diecut to paper. Embellish with Stickles glitter and add touches of liquid glue for a glossy finish. Add HoHoHo diecut and gem. Embellish with Stickles glitter. Finish with vintage ribbon spool and straight pin. Adhere using Extreme Adhesive Squares.
Step 8 • Add any additional diecuts to sides of tray if you choose. Add any glitters or glossy accents as needed.

And we have another treat for you today...Designer Lesley Langdon is back with another great idea for using the U Cut It Foam in our 3D Combo Pac!


Present Toppers
Designer: Lesley Langdon

Supplies:
Glue Arts U-Cut-It Foam
Cardstock: Core'dinations
Stamp: Inkadinkado
Ink: Ranger Distress Ink
Markers: Copic
Die: Spellbinders Nestabilities
Tool: Cuttlebug

Designer Notes:
You can cut perfect circles for your present toppers with a die and die cutting machine.  If you give them away as
Christmas gifts to teachers and friends in sets of 5 or 6, they look so professional!  You can cut any size you want and any shape, even stars!  Wouldn't that look cute!

Use the leftover U-Cut-It foam to adhere your main stamped image.  There is no waste with this foam sheet!  EVERY piece can be used.




So how would you like to win some of U Cut It Foam? 

We'd love to hear how you can use the foam in your projects or even what you loved about today's crafts! 

Leave us a comment and we'll enter you to win a pack of our 3D Combo, our Ribbon Adhesive and our Extreme Adhesive Squares.
We'll announce a random winner on Monday when we kick off a truly special week highlighting Christmas ornaments!! 
We can't wait!! 

46 comments:

  1. great ideas! LOVE the tray and the gift toppers! If I had some U Cut It RIGHT NOW I would use it on this layout I am desperately trying to finish...but need dimension! LOL I would also use it on the teacher's gifts I have planned to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love adding dimension to cards and LOs, it always makes the embellishments pop off the page. I also sometimes prop up one of the photos on the LO with foam to give it more prominence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to use this foam on a printers tray too! Love the featured projects today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your ideas today! The printers tray sparked all sorts of of ideas1

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love adding dimension to my projects! Thanks for the wonderful ideas I love the present toppers, those would look amazing on a gift!

    Holly

    hollyshobbie at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of cutting out real photos and adding them to the tray! I HAVE TO have dimension on my projects and it is great to have another option now with U Cut It Foam. I need it for these memo boards I make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the fun tray and the tags as gift ideas is awesome! I would love to try out the U Cut it Foam!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the printer tray idea. Been wanting to get one but I think I would want to keep it for myself instead of giving it as a gift. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use foam on my layouts and cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very fun and inspiring tray! I love dimensions on my projects so this U Cut it Foam would be perfect to play with. Thanks for a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful projects. I love dimension on my projects and I'm currently working on a printers tray...would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That tray is nice but I love the gift toppers. If I had some U cut it foam I would be making a shaker card for a 1st birthday....I have everything ready to go but the u cut it foam would be easier than the stacked cereal box I am using to put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tray is very nice to display both Christmas decor and photos. I like the old fashioned Christmas look which goes very well with the tray. The gift toppers are very cute. As far as the foam what wouldn't I use it on. I use it quite often to give dimension to cards and scrapbook pages. I have not tried your products yet but have heard they are good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The printers tray would be an excellent gift! Thanks for the idea! And I use alot of foam dots on my projects, so I could really use your adhesive foam!! Thanks for the great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the tray, a beautiful gift idea and the tags and grogeous too.
    Kim xXx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the printer tray project! Great use of foam dots!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooo...I love printer's tray projects! This one's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that printers tray!
    That foam would be great any time you need some extra dimension.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dimension on my layouts and projects. The printers tray is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love adding layers to my pages and cards with the foam=being able to cut the size I want is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It would be easier to tell you all of the projects on which I DON'T use foam adhesive.!! I use it on virtually every card, I use it to enhance flowers made from card stock die cuts. I emboss the cardstock to give the petals some shape then attach them through the centers with a brad. Then I place foam adhesive between the layers to plump up the flower making it more 3-D. Just a bit between each layer of petals works wonders! I could do a video if you need a guest designer any time soon. Hint, hint!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the vintage look of the Printer's Tray, what a lovely gift that would make!

    Carol B
    ciaoitalia2007(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. OHHH--all of these projects are BEAUTIFUL! I love that painters tray! CLEVER!! Vintage too:) LOVE IT:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely projects!! i think i'm addicted to foam squares! i use them on almost all of my projects...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the tray idea. Beautiful present toppers - I love seeing them in 3D. A fast trick that really adds a lot of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love dimension...and never waste an inch. I have a box of pieces. I pop-up stuff on cards made for OWH !!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super awesome project!! I would LOVE to own some of these fun types of adhesive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I always love adding dimension to my projects, so I would be really interested to try this U Cut it Foam.

    Thanks!
    Gini

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a printers tray and this will make a nice project. Thanks for all the good instructions. Love the package toppers also. Thanks for a chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful, I did one of these not long ago and it was not easy with what i used, but your foam sheet would make it so much easier, well looks like it anyway, if I win some will give it a shot!!! Would love to make another, so thanks for a chance to win your new awesome looking product, especially if it is as good as the glider pro!! I love that!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Forgot to mention, I just love the present toppers they are so darn cute!! Love the design, thanks much for the idea, think I will try these.!!!

    I think I will go get anothe 7 gypsies tray, or I have a giant antique one waiting for me to finish it, maybe I would attempt that if I win!! Will see , thanks again and apologies for the double post!! Getting tired I guess, wishing everyone a great weekend.
    D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful projects!! I am going to totally use the trey idea and I love the idea of using the foam scraps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. The printer tray is beautiful, and I've been trying to decide if I wanted to get U Cut It Foam because I didn't know why it was better than anything else out there - now I know.. The present toppers project showed how every piece can be used and I love that! I'm a believer now, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I could totally use the foam on the teacher gifts I'm going to make!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I use the foam adhesive to make certain parts of my cards and layouts jump out and be more prevelant to the viewer. It's also great for sticking the Wii control sensor high enough on top of our TV that nothing blocks it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love that tray! Great idea. ... oh .. Scrappy Rat.. great idea.. My Wii sensor is on top of the tv and I'm afraid it will fall off.! yahooo

    ReplyDelete
  37. Fabulous tray!!! I use foam on just about anything and everything for dimension. I don't think I complete a project without using it at some point. I find myself disappointed in some of the other foam adhesive shapes, so glad to see that yours sticks and stays!!! Putting it on my shopping list!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the projects!!! The tray is my fav :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would use the U cut it foam to add demension to layouts and cards. It would alos be great to use for shaker cards.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love the dimension it gives! Great projects! I love that printers tray!
    DeniseB

    ReplyDelete
  41. I always try to find some element in my scrapbook page or card I'm making to add dimension to...and the foam looks like it would just be perfect...with NO waste! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is amazing! I want one of these trays!

    mjmarmo@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have been layering EVERYTHING lately! I have a Cricut Imagine and I love to make cute things to layer up! I love the printers tray idea too :) Going to have to go get one to decorate! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  44. The foam is the perfect product to use for layering pieces on a project. The tray and the present toppers rock!

    ReplyDelete
  45. I love the present toppers and the gorgeous printers tray! Wow! I like adding dimension to my cards, layouts and other projects! Really makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete