Let's Hit the Road!
Summertime…for most people that means trips to the pool, bbq’s, ice cream, endless trips to the store for popsicles. Vacations, staycations and endless rides in the car! So to celebrate summer and all that it means…here’s a fun project that will look great in your home and also serve as a fun keepsake and reminder of time spent together!
This craft can easily be made by kids too! Let them cut out shapes, select photos and help making a special keepsake that your family will treasure!
Joy Ride Canvas
Designer: Julia Sandvoss
Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro – Perma Tac Adhesive
Glue Arts 3D Combo Pac
Cosmo Cricket Joy Ride papers & Stickers
Cosmo Cricket Girl Friday Ready Set Chipboard Alphabet
Cosmo Cricket Lil’ Man Ready Set Chipboard
The Robin’s Nest Gems
Plaid Folk Art Paints: Sky Blue, Blue Topaz & Winter White
Stickles Yellow Glitter
Colorbox Chalk Ink : Charcoal, Magenta, Orange, Scarlet, Canary, Turquoise & Teal
Cricut Diecut System Doodlecharm Cartridge
Sakura Micron .001 black pen
1.Select a few paint colors for the canvas sky background. Start with a dark paint, then paint over with a lighter blue and add in some white paint. Lightly brush the colors over the canvas. There is no special technique…so create a sky that pleases you
2.Next using the Cosmo Cricket Joy Ride “Round About” papers, cut a length of paper to fit across the bottom of the canvas to create the road. Ink the edges of the paper with Colorbox Charcoal ink and adhere to canvas using Glue Arts Glue Glider Pro Perma-Tac Adhesive
3. To create the car….hand draw or scan the Cosmo Cricket Zoom Zoom paper. Enlarge the scan and use the print out as a template for making your own car along with the luggage. Be sure to cut out two cars from the cardstock for layering. Cut a background for the car using the Cosmo Cricket “Are We There Yet” paper. Once you have cut out the car and luggage, detail the items with a black pen and ink the edges with various colors of chalk inks.
4.Next select photos of your family. Test print a photo to check the size to make sure you will “fit” in the car! Then print out the photos and trim around the individuals.
5. Assemble the car. Use the first cardstock car as the base then add the background, photos of your family. At this point use some of the Glue Arts 3D foam sheets to give a bit of lift and dimension between the bottom layer and the top layer of the car. You may want to use two layers of foam to give a bit more height
6. Then add the various pieces of luggage again using the Glue Arts 3D foam sheets. Tilt and stack the luggage pieces as you like
7.Punch out a small circle and cover it with Stickles. Allow to dry and then adhere to car with clear pebble to create a headlight.
8. Use the Cricut diecut machine to cut two sun shapes. Cut one a 4 inch sun and one a 3 ½ inch sun. Detail sun with pen and ink edges with Colorbox Canary ink. Adhere larger sun to canvas using Glue Glider. Add 3D foam between the two suns for dimension. Adhere small colored gems to sun.
9. Hand draw some additional cloud shapes onto papers. Ink edges and adhere with Glue Glider. Adhere chipboard clouds. Mix up clouds adding some with the 3D foam adhesive.
10.Finish it off with Joy Ride letters, a glittery butterfly and some buttons for wheels.
Designer Tip: The Glue Arts 3D Foam Adhesive is not only easy to work with but perfect as you can cut any size you need. For a project like this with narrow spots and larger needs...the sheets are a girls best friend. The combo pack also comes with adhesive clear glue squares. Which work wonders for adhering buttons for wheels and signs and more!
Be sure to tune in Wednesday for some more Glue Arts projects with canvas!